Pages

Wednesday 29 April 2015

Spring for Cotton and Me Made May '15






Hello! It's very nearly May, so it seems like the time has flown by since I came across the Spring for Cotton sew along hosted by Rochelle from Lucky Lucille at the beginning of April!
SpringForCottonPromo
Image from Rochelle at LuckyLucille.com
I wanted to join in and had recently purchased a beautiful cotton lawn that fit the bill of 100% cotton. I just needed to find a vintage pattern and I could play too! Could I find one in my size?! that I liked?! and would arrive in time to make it?! No! So my back up plan came into play. I ordered the 1940's Tea Dress by Sew Over It. Me and my lovely sister, Sarah, (who could be tempted to start sewing, she has my mums old singer machine, but hasn't ever used it) had been eyeing up 1940's dress patterns (vintage and inspired) for a while. Ideally we were looking for one with a sweetheart neckline, and maybe a gathered shoulder yoke, but I'm thinking maybe of adapting the Sew Over It pattern if we can't find something similar (maybe, when I'm a bit more confident!). Anyway, I thought it would be a great dress for the Spring for Cotton sew along as vintage inspired patterns are also permitted.

Fabric is a cotton lawn

teadressupdate copy
Image from sewoverit.com - 1940s Tea Dress by Sew Over It
I'm pleased with my progress so far, I've had to lower the bust panels by over an inch, make a forward shoulder adjustment and basically redraw all the pattern pieces for the front bodice. I only started last week, and I'm totally loving the challenge and the pattern itself. I've adapted the sleeve pattern too, so hoping they turn out as cap sleeves once I attach them! Then there's the invisible zip, neckline facing and hemming to do....before tomorrow's deadline! It's totally doable in one evening right?! Nothing like leaving it to the last minute!

Just sleeves, neck facing, zip, hem and buttons to complete!

And finally, in this short blog post...




I'm also signing up for Me Made May 2015, along with many, many others in the sewing community. This is run by Zoe of 'So, Zo...What do you know?', if you didn't know. And you can sign up here, there's still a little bit of time to do so! Here is my pledge:

'I, Amy, of sewnintheattic.blogspot.co.uk, sign up as a participant of Me-Made-May '15. I endeavour to wear two garments made, adjusted or refashioned by me each week for the duration of May 2015.'

I shall post my outfits on Instagram when I'm wearing them, So follow me on there to see them (link on the sidebar)!

Will you be joining in with Me Made May'15?

No comments:

Post a Comment